07 August 2009

Bathtime: A play in one act

The bathroom of a suburban home. Three year-old son has stayed up too late, and is overtired. He's also covered in sunscreen, chlorine, aioli, and bits of spaghetti. Mother places child in the tub.

Mother: I'm going to wet your hair now. Close your eyes so you don't get water in them.

Mother proceeds to pour water over child's head.

Son: What are you doing? Don't DO that!

Mother: Now I'm going to wash your hair.

Son: Okay.

Mother shampoos son's hair.


Son: Stop it, stop it, STOP IT!

Mother: Now I'm going to rinse your hair. Close your eyes, and tilt your head back so you don't get soap in your eyes.

Son: Okay.

Mother proceeds to rinse son's hair.


Son (eyes closed): I CAN'T SEE! I CAN'T SEE!

Son opens eyes.

Son: OW, OW, OW!

Mother: Now I'm going to wash your face.

Mother washes child's face.

Son: HOT SAUCE IS BURNING!!!

Bath is completed in under 2 minutes. Son is dried off.

Mother: I have to put some lotion on you.

Mother gently massages child's skin.

Son: OW, OW, OWEEEEE!

Mother quickly diapers son and puts on his pajamas. She contemplates brushing his teeth, thinks better of it, gives son a kiss and throws him into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment